The field saturated hydraulic conductivity (Kfs) or permeability of soil and septic fill can be quickly and easily measured in place using the ETC Pask Constant Head Permeameter manufactured by Dynamic Monitors, a business unit of Engineering Technologies Canada Ltd. (ETC).
The Pask Permeameter is named after David Pask, a public health engineer formerly with the Nova Scotia Dept. of Environment, who advocated for its use in onsite sewage assessments. It has become very popular in Canada and the USA as a convenient and much less expensive alternative to other constant head permeameters such as the Guelph Permeameter®. The test procedure is based on the constant head well permeameter method (CHWP) described by Reynolds (2008) and by Elrick and Reynolds (1986).
Check this blog article for a detailed 20 point comparison of the ETC Pask Permeameter to the Guelph Permeameter.
ETC has prepared an updated, user-friendly guide which incorporates the research by Reynolds, Elrick and others. An abbreviated version of ETC’s User Guide has been incorporated into the new CSA B65-12 Installation Code for Decentralized Wastewater Systems and also the New Brunswick Department of Health’s Technical Guidelines for On-site Sewage Disposal Systems.
Advantages of the ETC Pask Permeameter:
- Much more accurate and repeatable method of assessing the soil’s drainage properties than the percolation test.
- Unlike others, we use clear lightweight, and durable polycarbonate for the upper reservoir, rather than heavier SCH40 pipe. This makes our permeameter extremely light, minimizing the potential for it to sink into the soil and cause errors.
- NEW! Our permeameter features a custom designed ABS cap with a secure, stainless steel clip. No more concerns about losing rubber stoppers in the bottom of the well holes!
- Very fast – a test on most soils can usually be completed in only 15 to 45 minutes.
- Small amount of water needed, typically 0.5 usgal (2 Liters) per test in medium permeability soils.
- Very visual; easy for homeowners to see how it works, and whether they have “good” soil or not.
- Calculations are made easy using ETC’s Quick Reference Tables.
- Constant head of water created by the ETC permeameter helps to minimize the impact of errors caused by improper soil characterization (estimation of α*).
The ETC Pask Permeameter comes with the following:
- ETC Pask Permeameter with custom ABS cap and stainless steel clip
- ETC Quick Reference Field Calculation Tables (based on an assumed well hole size of 3 ¼” (8.3cm)
- Pask Permeameter User Guide
Note: Soil or fill containing abundant large gravel, cobbles or boulders may not be feasible to test using Constant Head Permeameters.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
All prices are subject to change. Volume discount pricing may be available at the discretion of Dynamic Monitors. Contact us for more information.
Order online (preferred), or over the phone. Contact us at 1-888-747-7645 (SOIL) if you have any questions.