- Use Soil Survey maps to identify potential issues before you arrive at the site (eg. poor drainage, high water table, shallow bedrock, low permeability soil, etc.)
- Proper test-pit techniques
- Determining soil texture, structure according to the Canadian System of Soil Classification
- Identify high groundwater tables
- Identify bedrock
- In-situ permeability testing using a Pask constant head permeameter
- Determine soil category/classification for the purpose of subdividing land and/or septic system design/selection
- Determine appropriate disposal fields
- Determine when septic fill is required and how much
- Assuming all government fees are paid and the government’s minimum educational requirements are met, attendees who pass the exam will qualify for a PEI Site Assessor’s License from the PEI Government.
WHEN: Tuesday, June 20 to Friday, June 23, 2023. The exam will be held the following week on Weds. June 28, 2023 in the morning. We ask that you also keep Monday, June 26 open in the event that field work needs to be rescheduled due to inclement weather. Tuesday, June 27 will be an optional drop-in day in Charlottetown for extra help and practice.
- Rodd Royalty Hotel, 14 Capital Dr, Charlottetown, PE C1A 8C2 (classroom, lab, and exam.)
- Various sites in Queens County (TBA) for field work (your own transportation will be required).
COURSE FEES: Course registration fee is $1500 plus HST per person. Registration fee includes most printed materials: handouts, site assessment reference charts and aids.
- A suitable constant head permeameter and hand auger is required equipment for PEI licensed site assessors. The cost of this equipment is not included in the course fee. A limited number of ETC’s Pask Constant Head Permeameter Kits will be provided for use by attendees during the course.
- After the course, while supplies last, attendees will be able to purchase ETC’s “gently-used Factory Second” Pask Permeameter Kits at a discounted price. We offer our Permeameter Kit with a professional AMS 2-piece auger in a hard-sided storage/carry case (recommended) for $1270+HST. If you are on a budget, we can also offer them without a carry case for $900+HST. The cost of kits assumes local pick-up at our office in Stratford. Shipping would be extra.
- Any applicable government certification fees (eg. site assessor license fee, contractor license fee) are not included in the ETC course fee.
- Lunch/meals are not provided.
Who Should Attend?
- Individuals who wish to become certified as a PEI Licensed Site Assessor.
- Site assessors, regulators, engineers, technicians who wish to refresh or update their knowledge, get questions answered, and learn about new developments in the field of site assessment.
- Septic installers, general contractors, technicians, real estate agents, who want to learn more about site assessment, lot categorization and septic systems.
Note: The Government of PEI has minimum educational or work experience requirements which must be satisfied in order to become certified as a Licensed Site Assessor. For any questions regarding your qualifications, please contact Mr. Eugene Lloyd, Provincial Planning at the PEI Dept. of Agriculture and Land. firstname.lastname@example.org or 368-4465).
About the Lead Instructor:
Kelly Galloway, P.Eng., is a Civil Engineer with over 30 years experience, 25 years with her own consulting firm, Engineering Technologies Canada Ltd. Kelly’s areas of expertise include all aspects of on-site wastewater management. Kelly is a voting member of the CSA B65 Technical Committee which was responsible for the creation of a new national Installation Code for Decentralized Wastewater Systems. She also chaired the Soil Absorption System Task Force for CSAB 65. Kelly has developed and delivered training courses and seminars for the public and private sector in PEI and NB, and has consulted on the development of NB and BC’s Technical Guidelines.
Other Information (subject to change):
- Course is tentatively expected to run from 8:30 am until 5:00 pm each day.
- June 20 will be classroom, June 21 will be classroom, lab and field work. June 22 and 23 will be field work. Monday, June 26 is an alternative (inclement weather) field day. Tuesday. June 27 is an optional extra help, practice, exam preparation day.
- Those wishing to become certified as PEI Site Assessors will have an opportunity to write the examination at the end of the course on the morning of Weds. June 28.
- Passing mark for the course to be set in consultation with the PEI Government but is anticipated to be a minimum overall mark of 75%.
- Government of PEI regulations require 2 years of acceptable related post secondary education to become certified as a Licensed PEI Site Assessor. Suitable practical work experienced may be accepted in lieu of post secondary education. It is is the responsibility of each attendee to confirm the acceptability of their education (or practical work experience).
Refund, Non-attendance & Cancellation Policy:
- If the course must be cancelled by ETC for any reason (eg. insufficient registrations, instructor illness, etc.), registration fees will be refunded.
- A full refund will be available for requests received before the end of day, Friday, June 16, 2023.
- Refund requests received after this date are subject to a $100 late cancellation fee.
- If in the opinion of the instructor, you have missed too many aspects of the course, you may be disqualified from writing the exam. In some cases, it may be possible to complete the missed material at a later date through individual, one-to-one or small group instruction. However, this is not guaranteed and the provision and timing of any potential make-up session(s) would be solely at the discretion of the instructor. Significant extra fees for instructor time (at $175/hr) and machine rental (if applicable) would apply.
- Course fees will not be refunded if the government denies certification due to the applicant not meeting educational criteria, or for not passing the exam.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.