- Use the PEI Soil Survey on-line mapping to identify potential issues before you arrive at the site (eg. poor drainage, high water table, shallow bedrock, low permeability soil, etc.)
- Proper test-pit techniques
- Determining soil texture, structure according to the Canadian System of Soil Classification
- Identify high groundwater tables
- Identify bedrock
- In-situ permeability testing using a Pask constant head permeameter
- Determine PEI Soil Category
- Determine appropriate disposal fields
- Determine when Good Quality Fill is required and how much
- Assuming all government fees are paid and the government’s minimum educational requirements are met, attendees who pass the exam will qualify for a Site Assessor’s License from the PEI Government.
WHEN: Nov. 15, 16, 17, and Nov. 19 (half day for exam), 2021. Please reserve Nov. 18, 2021 as an alternative day for field work (in the event of inclement weather) or as an optional study/assignment day.
- Rodd Royalty Hotel, 14 Capital Dr, Charlottetown, PE C1A 8C2 (classroom, lab, and exam.)
- Various sites in Queens County (TBA) for field work (your own transportation will be required).
COURSE FEES: Course registration fee is $1400 plus HST per person. This fee assumes a sufficient number of registrations are received. Registration fee includes most printed materials: handouts, site assessment reference charts and aids.
- A suitable constant head permeameter and hand auger is required equipment for PEI licensed site assessors. The cost of this equipment is not included in the course fee. ETC’s Pask Constant Head Permeameter Kits will be provided for use by attendees during the course. After the course for a limited time, attendees will be able to purchase the ETC Pask Permeameter Kit at a discount.
- Any applicable government certification fees (eg. site assessor license fee, contractor license fee) are not included in the ETC course fee.
- Lunch/meals are not provided.
Who Should Attend?
- Individuals who wish to become certified as a Licensed Site Assessor.
- Site assessors, regulators, engineers, technicians who wish to update their knowledge, get questions answered, and learn about new developments in the field of site assessment.
- Septic installers, general contractors, technicians, real estate agents, who want to learn more about site assessment, lot categorization and septic systems.
Note: The Government of PEI has minimum educational or work experience requirements which must be satisfied in order to become certified as a Licensed Site Assessor. For any questions regarding your qualifications, please contact Mr. Eugene Lloyd, Provincial Planning at the PEI Dept. of Agriculture and Land. firstname.lastname@example.org or 368-4465).
About the Lead Instructor:
Kelly Galloway, P.Eng., is a Civil Engineer with over 25 years experience, 20 years with her own consulting firm, Engineering Technologies Canada Ltd. Kelly’s areas of expertise include all aspects of on-site wastewater management. Kelly is a voting member of the CSA B65 Technical Committee which was responsible for the creation of a new national Installation Code for Decentralized Wastewater Systems. She also chaired the Soil Absorption System Task Force for CSAB65. Kelly has developed and delivered training courses and seminars for the PEI Department of Environment, the NB Department of Health, and has consulted on development of NB and BC’s Technical Guidelines.
Other Information (subject to change):
- Course is tentatively expected to run from 8:30 am until 5:00 pm each day.
- Day 1 will be classroom, Day 2 and Day 3 will be lab and field work. Day 4 is an alternative (inclement weather) field day or optional study/assignment day.
- Those wishing to become certified as PEI Site Assessors will have an opportunity to write the examination at the end of the course.
- Passing mark for the exam to be set in consultation with the PEI Government. Government of PEI regulations require 2 years of acceptable related post secondary education to become certified as a Licensed PEI Site Assessor. Suitable practical work experienced may be accepted in lieu of post secondary education. It is is the responsibility of each attendee to confirm the acceptability of their education (or practical work experience). Course fees will not be refunded if the government denies certification due to the applicant not meeting educational criteria, or for not passing the exam.
Refund, Non-attendance & Cancellation Policy:
- If the course must be cancelled by ETC for any reason (eg. COVID related restrictions, insufficient registrations, instructor illness, etc.), registration fees will be refunded.
- A full refund will be available for requests received before the end of day, Oct. 25, 2021.
- Refund requests received between Oct. 26 and Nov. 1, 2021 are subject to a $500 cancellation fee.
- No refunds will be issued after Nov. 1, 2021 except in exceptional circumstances (eg. serious illness requiring a doctor’s note). If you cannot attend, you may designate someone else to attend in your place.
- Refunds will not be provided if significant portions of the course (classroom, lab or field work) are missed for any reason. If in the opinion of the instructors, you have missed too many aspects of the course, you may be disqualified from writing the exam. In some cases, it may be possible to complete the missed material at a later date through individual, one-to-one or small group instruction. However, this is not guaranteed and the provision and timing of any potential make-up session(s) would be solely at the discretion of the instructors. Significant extra fees for instructor time and machine rental (if applicable) would apply.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.