- Use the PEI Soil Survey on-line mapping to identify potential issues before you arrive at the site (eg. poor drainage, high water table, shallow bedrock, low permeability soil, etc.)
- Proper test-pit techniques
- Determining soil texture, structure according to the Canadian System of Soil Classification
- Identify high groundwater tables
- Identify bedrock
- In-situ permeability testing using a Pask constant head permeameter
- Determine PEI Soil Category
- Determine appropriate disposal fields
- Determine when septic fill is required and how much
- Assuming all government fees are paid and the government’s minimum educational requirements are met, attendees who pass the exam will qualify for a Site Assessor’s License from the PEI Department of Environment, Labour and Justice.
WHEN: October 17 to 19, 2016.
WHERE: Holland College Charlottetown Campus and various field sites (your own transportation will be required)
COURSE FEES: Course registration fee will be $1250 plus HST. These prices assume an adequate number of final registrations are received. If sufficient registrations are not received, the course will be cancelled. Registration fee includes all course materials: handouts, site assessment reference charts and aids, water bottle for soil texturing, sand-sizes reference card.
- A Pask permeameter and hand auger are required equipment for those who intend to become certified as site assessors. The cost of this equipment is not included in the base course fee. ETC Pask Permeameter Kits are available for purchase from ETC’s product development division, Dynamic Monitors.
- Any applicable government certification fees (eg. site assessor license fee, contractor license fee) are not included in the ETC course fee.
- Lunch/meals are not provided.
Who Should Attend?
- Individuals who wish to become certified as a Licensed Site Assessor by the PEI Dept. of Environment.
- Site assessors, engineers, technicians who wish to update their knowledge, get questions answered, and learn about new developments in the field of site assessment.
- Septic installers, general contractors, technicians, real estate agents, who want to learn more about site assessment, lot categorization and septic systems.
Note: The Government of PEI has minimum educational requirements which must be satisfied in order to become certified as a Licensed Site Assessor. For any questions regarding qualifications please contact Jay Carr (email@example.com or 368-4892) at the PEI Dept. of Environment.
About the Lead Instructor:
Kelly Galloway, P.Eng., is a Civil Engineer with over 25 years experience, 20 years with her own consulting firm, Engineering Technologies Canada Ltd. Kelly’s areas of expertise include all aspects of on-site wastewater management.
Kelly is a voting member of the CSA B65 Technical Committee which was responsible for the creation of a new national Installation Code for Decentralized Wastewater Systems. She also chaired the Soil Absorption System Task Force for CSAB65.
Kelly has developed and delivered training courses and seminars for the PEI Department of Environment, the NB Department of Health, and has consulted on development of NB and BC’s Technical Guidelines.
Other Information (subject to change):
- Course is tentatively expected to run from 8:30 am until 5:00 pm each day.
- Day 1 will be classroom, Day 2 and Day 3 will be lab and field work.
- Those wishing to become certified as PEI Site Assessors will have an opportunity to write the examination at the end of the course.
- Passing mark for the exam to be set in consultation with the PEI Dept. of Environment. Government of PEI regulations require 2 years of acceptable related post secondary education to become certified as a Licensed PEI Site Assessor. Suitable practical work experienced may be accepted in lieu of post secondary education. It is is the responsibility of each attendee to confirm the acceptability of their education (or practical work experience). Course fees will not be refunded if the government denies certification due to the applicant not meeting educational criteria, or for not passing the exam.
- No requests for refunds or cancellations will be accepted unless session is canceled due to insufficient numbers. If you will not be able to attend, you may substitute another person in your place.
- ETC reserves the right to cancel course due to insufficient numbers in which case any course registration fees will be refunded in full. A final decision will be made two weeks prior to the proposed course date.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.