Engineering Technologies Canada Ltd. (dba Dynamic Monitors) has an immediate opening (anticipated start date late August or early September) for a Junior Developer at our office located in the Stratford Business Park, PEI.
Candidates must meet the requirements of the NRC Green Youth Program. Eligibility information is as follows:
- Between 15 – 30 years of age (inclusive)
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada
- Legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial legislation and regulations
- A first-time participant in a Youth Employment Strategy work experience program targeted at youth
This would be a 3 to 6 month (term to be negotiated) contract position with the potential to transition to a permanent, full time position for graduates seeking full time employment.
Working closely with our other software developers, the Junior Developer will participate in the development of code related to the Septic Sitter project.
Job duties for this exciting position will involve one or more of the following fields of activity, to be determined based on business priorities and the skill set of the successful candidate.
- Develop and Debug PHP code on the backend and frontend.
Frontend Design and development work
- Maintain and enhance other company WordPress based sites (DynamicMonitors.com and Engtech.ca).
Internal tool development
- Develop and debug tools for internal use such as data analysis, hardware testing, etc in Python or other languages
Depending on the skills, aptitude and interest of the successful candidate, the position may also involve the following:
Embedded Firmware Development
- Write code in C for embedded hardware.
- Assist with testing of prototypes running this code and perform basic hardware debugging.
- Write and debug shell scripts and other Linux applications.
The Septic Sitter system spans ultrasonic sensors running embedded firmware, a Linux powered gateway, and a web application that stores the resulting data and allows customers to interact with the system. Here’s an example of the current demo site: http://demo.septicsitter.com/
As a small team touching all levels of the development stack, a willingness to work with different technologies is very important, and there is ample opportunity for previous experience to be relevant, and many possible tasks to focus on.
- Recent Computer Science graduates are preferred, however students in the progress of completing their degree will be considered.
- Must have completed at least 2 years of a Bachelor’s (University) degree or College Diploma in a programming related field (eg. Computer Science, Electronics Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems Technology, Gaming, etc.)
- Good programming skills
- Comfortable with project reporting, status updates via various distance communication methods.
- Able to use standard office software (Word processors, spreadsheets, etc…)
- Good interpersonal, communication, problem solving and organizational skills required.
- Related co-op, summer, or OJT work experience would be an asset.
- Graphic design skills or knowledge of internet security would be an asset.
You are someone who is capable of working independently, following established routines and procedures, yet thrives on variety and learning new processes and skills.
Definite requirements are a resourceful, “can-do” attitude, above-average computer skills, the ability to work as part of a team, and a willingness to pitch in and help wherever needed. We are looking for an individual who will take an optimistic, problem-solving approach to their work, and find ways to spread joy and fun in our workplace and with our customers, clients and partners.
We also require people who are industrious, careful and detail-oriented.
Salary would be commensurate with educational level and experience.
Please apply as soon as possible, preferably by August 8, 2016. The company reserves the right to extend the application deadline, or cancel this position at its discretion.
Send your resume and email cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org