Engineering Technologies Canada Ltd. (dba Dynamic Monitors) has an immediate opening for a Junior Software Developer. We are located in Stratford, PE and can accommodate both on-site and remote work arrangements.
Candidates must meet the requirements of the NRC Green Youth Program. Eligibility information is as follows:
On the date that the employment begins, the Youth must be:
- Between 15 – 30 years of age (inclusive)
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada (no work permits or student visas)
- Legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial legislation and regulations
- A first-time participant in a Career Focus program under Canada’s Youth Employment Strategy work experience program.
This is a 3 to 6 month contract position (term to be negotiated), with the potential to transition to a permanent, full time position.
The Junior Developer will work closely with other members of our software team, focused on the commercial release of the Septic Sitter.
Responsibilities for this exciting new position may include the following activities, with specific tasks to be determined based on business priorities.
- Develop, debug, and maintain the Septic Sitter web application back-end written in the PHP/Laravel framework.
Front-end design and development
- Some maintenance and improvements to public company sites (e.g WordPress based sites DynamicMonitors.com and Engtech.ca).
Depending on the skills, aptitude and interest of the successful candidate, the position may also involve the following:
Internal tools development
- Develop and debug tools for internal use and research (e.g data analysis, hardware testing) in Python.
Embedded firmware development
- Maintain / write code in C for custom ultrasonic sensor with CAN-bus communication.
- Assist in testing prototypes and perform basic hardware debugging.
- Understand, write and debug shell scripts and other Linux applications running on a single board computer (SBC) gateway “hub”.
The Septic Sitter system spans ultrasonic sensors running a full bootloader for remote software updates, a Linux gateway with consumer friendly provisioning, and an intuitive web application that displays sensor data and triggers alerts.
As a small team touching all levels of the development stack, a willingness to work with different technologies is important. There is ample opportunity for previous experience to be relevant, and many possible tasks to focus on.
- Computer Science and Computer/Electrical Engineering graduates are preferred, however candidates in the process of completing their degree will be considered. Must have completed at least 2 years of a Bachelor’s (University) degree or College Diploma in a computing field (eg. Computer Science, Electronics Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems Technology, Gaming, etc.)
- Write clean, well documented code with unit tests where applicable
- Proficient in version control (e.g Git)
- Willing to follow established company workflow policies and committing code on a regular basis to company repository
- Comfortable with JIRA for tracking issues, bugs, and features
- Comfortable with project reporting, status updates via various distance communication methods (eg. Slack, Skype, Google Hangouts)
- Good interpersonal, team communication, problem solving and organizational skills required.
- Experience with continuous integration (CI) processes and working in a production environment would be an asset.
- Some knowledge of internet security is an asset.
You are someone who is capable of working independently, following established routines and procedures, yet thrives on variety and learning new processes and skills.
Definite requirements are a resourceful, “can-do” attitude, above-average programming skills, the ability to work as part of a team, and a willingness to pitch in and help wherever needed. We are looking for an individual who will take an optimistic, problem-solving approach to their work, and find ways to spread joy and fun in our workplace.
We also require people who are industrious, careful and detail-oriented.
Remuneration would be commensurate with educational level and experience.
Please apply as soon as possible. The company reserves the right to extend the application deadline, or cancel this position at its discretion.
Send your resume and email cover letter to: email@example.com